Something Sweet

After a tip from a local blogger, I was excited to try a new cupcake shop in town: Something Sweet. The bakery is located not too far from my new office at Wisconsin & Macomb St in Glover Park (or North Georgetown as the kids are calling it these days). The cute shop has been open for about a month now and while there's not a lot of seating is quite spacious. The large long glass display case showcases a variety of desserts (brownies, cookies, biscotti) but the main attraction are their cupcakes.

The selection on Tuesday included Classic Vanilla, Vanilla with Chocolate Frosting, Chocolate with Chocolate Frosting, Strawberry, Red Velvet, and Lemon. I can appreciate the simplcity of the cupcake selection-- fancy flavors are nice but I am always drawn back to the basics. Strawberry is rotating flavor so I decided to try that as well as a classic vanilla. Here's my take:
  • Size: The cupcakes are a very good size (bigger than Gtown cupake-- think Hello Cupcake but less frosting height.
  • Cost: A very reasonable $2.75
  • Cake: Perfect-- not too moist, not too dry
  • Frosting: Light & Airy-- creamy texture, I like my frosting a little sweeter, but this was still very tasty.
  • Cake to Frosting Ratio: Excellent


Vanilla: My favorite of the two (surprise, surprise).




Strawberry: Cake was divine with real strawberry puree, frosting was strawberry buttercream and was good but not spectacular.

Overall: I think Something Sweet is a great addition to the DC cupcake market. While there may not be all the crazy flavors of say Georgetown Cupcake or Hello Cupcake, these unpretentious cupcakes are delicious and reasonably priced. They also come in super cute to-go containers!

It was a very nice treat on my 25th Birthday. Definitey worth checking out!


Something Sweet
202-364-2525


11:00am-10:30pm Tuesday-Friday
9:00am-10:30pm Saturdays
9:00am-10:00pm Sundays
Closed Mondays

Clearly I enjoyed it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Food  Drink & Cooking Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory