Cupcakes on the Hill

Despite the large number of cupcake shops in DC, there's no good source for cupcakes on Capitol Hill and the surrounding residential areas. This hasn't bothered me too much since I live in NW and there are plenty of great cupcake options around me. However, a recent article tipped me off that the Capitol cafeteria was starting to serve my favorite treats. So I asked a friend who is a Hill staffer to grab me a few for an upcoming dinner party.


  • Size: The photo doesn't portray the massive size-- think softballs. After dinner, we could each only eat one half.
  • Cost: At $1.75 a piece they are also the cheapest cupcake in the district (that I know of)-- quite the deal.
  • Cake: Most & fluffy, but tasted like a box cake
  • Frosting: Tasted homemade-- very smooth & creamy
These definitely aren't the best cupcakes I've had, or even in my Top 10-- but they are tasty enough (and big enough, and cheap enough) to be a great value. The strawberry on top was a great treat.

Disclaimer: These cupcakes came from the Rayburn Office Building Cafeteria (House of Representatives)-- open to the public. But after re-reading the article, there may more cupcakes on the Hill at a cafeteria in the actual Capitol building. From the article it sounds like you should be able to "build your own cupcake" with a variety of toppings. Don't worry-- I am on the case and will report back.

Thanks Nathan (and Kristen)-- they were a perfect end to dinner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Food  Drink & Cooking Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory