Great Harvest Cupcakes

A former co-worker who knew of my obsession would occassionally surprise me with cupcakes from Great Harvest Bread Company. Haven't ever been? Either had I. If you're from Upstate, think Montana Mills. Everyday Great Harvest offers a rotating menu of delicious, baked from scratch breads and other treats. September breads included Apple Scrapple, Cheddar Garlic, and Raspberry Brown Sugar, but my favorite is the Football Bread-- think bread calzone with cheese & pepperoni!!

Anyway, I remembered the cupcakes being quite the treat, so I thought it was time to try them again. The varieties are simple chocolate & vanilla cake and chocolate & vanilla frosting in your favorite combination. I picked the ones with the dinosaur sprinkles. :-)

  • Size: Decent. They've gotten a little smaller since the last time I had their cupcakes (maybe due to the economy?), but they are still a good size
  • Cost: $2.00 -- definitely a steal
  • Cake: Very very moist, maybe too moist (hold the cupcake sideways and the frosting will slide off). It's more of a white cake than a true vanilla.
  • Frosting: Also moist, but very buttery, thick & creamy.

Overall, they didn't quite live up to the hype I'd created in my mind from going without them for almost a year-- but they are better than most grocery store cupcakes. They are homemade, well-priced, and have dinosaur sprinkles. The cupcakes might not be as delicious as the breads the store is famous for, but they are still good.

Make a trip for the bread, grab a cupcake for later!

The sprinkles remind me of birthday's from my childhood when Mom would let me help decorate!

Great Harvest has 7 locations in the DC area-- the closest is in Alexandria where this cupcake came from. Each location is independently owned and has their own hours and menu schedule so be sure to call ahead. Cupcakes are always on the menu!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Food  Drink & Cooking Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory