#1 Baked & Wired

Drumroll please.... the moment you've been waiting for! The #1 cupcake shop in the DC area (IMHO) is...


Baked & Wired!!!



This adorable coffeeshop tucked away near the canal in Georgetown has been serving cupcakes since it opened in 2001-- well before it was trendy, and well before any of the cupcakeries opened in the area (even before Cakelove which is often considered the first). BAKED & WIRED BLOWS GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE OUT OF THE WATER.

I'm sure very few of you are surprised (I rarely talk about cupcakes without mentioning B&W), and a number of you have been there with me and have experienced the heaven that is inside every bite of a B&W cupcake. Everyone has their favorites, but mine is a tie between the vanilla-vanilla and strawberry (with real strawberry puree in the cake batter). Red Velvet, Carrot Cake, and Pretty Bitchin (chocolate & pb) are other popular flavors.


I recently spoke with B&W owner, Theresa Valezquez, who said she uses her grandmother's recipes for many of her cupcakes. She said cupcakes were definitely not "in" when they opened, but just thought it was a more portable way to sell her cakes.

B&W is responsible for my gourmet cupcake fetish after I tried one in 2006 at Taste of Georgetown. It was the first cupcake I'd ever bought (having stuck only to the homemade variety), and it was the best cupcake I'd ever eaten. For more than three years I've been on a quest to find a cupcake that beats it... no such luck! Here's why I love them so much:

  • Size: Very large
  • Cost: $3.50-- just above average, but the size makes you feel like you're getting more for your money.
  • Cake: Dense but moist, you're not paying for air or fluff here! The strawberry cake is amazing.
  • Frosting: Creamy with gourmet ingredients-- beyond ordinary!


I'm beyond convinced there's no one in DC who does cupcakes better. I am always so surprised when Georgetown Cupcake takes first prize in many local polls/contests. True cupcake fans know (I've talked to several of them) the truth... Baked & Wired is #1.

3 comments:

sprite said...
December 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I agree with you. Baked and Wired is definitely the best. I like the strawberry, but the lemon and raspberry combo is also excellent.

Convince Me DC said...
December 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I do really like B&W because their cake is better than other places, but my favorite part - the frosting - just isn't quite up there. I do agree that you get the most for the price from here. Buzz has my favorite seasonal treats and Lavender Moon has amazing frosting.

Katie said...
December 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I'm glad to hear you like Buzz-- it made my top 5. I haven't had good experiences with Lavender Moon (not open during published hours, hated the vanilla cupcake), but I'll have to give it another try. It's hard to remember now because it's been awhile, but I thought the frosting was a bit runny? Is that possible?

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Food  Drink & Cooking Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory